• Samuel at Gilgal

    This year I will be sharing brief excerpts from the articles, sermons, and books I am currently reading. My posts will not follow a regular schedule but will be published as I find well-written thoughts that should be of interest to maturing Christian readers. Whenever possible, I encourage you to go to the source and read the complete work of the author.

  • Blog Stats

    • 1,396,214 Visits
  • Recent Posts

  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 1,269 other subscribers
  • Recommended Reading

Post-Modern Confusion in the Church

TruthJesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. (John 14:6 ESV)

Pontius Pilate once asked, “What is truth?” (John 18:37-38, ESV) Post-modern man would answer that question by responding, “The truth is personal and differs for everyone. There is no absolute truth.” Many live their lives today as if you can literally choose your own personal truth. For them, truth has no objective basis in reality. What is true for you may not be true for me. Objective, self-evident truth is no longer recognized in the realm of politics, philosophy, or morals. Science too, has become the victim of political spin. The exact correlation of truth to reality is ignored.

Therefore, chaos has come to reign where absolute truth is no longer recognized. Many, who call themselves Christians, are often confused and led astray by the doctrines of devils. Satan is a liar and is called “the father of lies.” (John 8:44, ESV) It is said that the truth is not in him. However, this does not stop him from using the truth. A statement or idea may contain 90% truth, but if the other 10% is a lie – it is 100% wrong. A lie mixed with truth corrupts the whole.

Many people in the modern church have no ability to discern false doctrines from true. Christians are becoming very gullible. Many ministers and church members have become obsessed with conforming the church to a post-modern world rather than conforming the world to God’s kingdom. Love for the truth is dismissed as shallow and narrow. The post-modern church hides the offense of the Gospel. It believes that doctrine must not be divisive.

The truth about truth, however, is very divisive. For truth to be true, it must be entirely separated from falsehood. Jesus said, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6, ESV) There it is. Jesus has made a very “divisive” statement. If His statement is true, then salvation is only through Him. This statement does not allow for other paths to salvation. Jesus says He is “the truth.” Therefore, the belief that there are other paths to salvation is a lie.

The church must emphasize the reality of objective truth, biblical preaching and teaching, as well as the authority of the Scriptures if it is to educate the Christian mind. “Felt needs” and “personal truths” without objective basis in God’s Word are to be avoided. Do not be deceived. This is the path of “those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved.” (2 Thessalonians 2:10, ESV) The Christian faith is not subjective. It is objective, eternal truth established by God. Do not neglect to study God’s Word. It is a precious gift. It is truth.

Samuel at Gilgal

%d bloggers like this: