• Samuel at Gilgal

    This year I will be sharing brief excerpts from the articles, sermons, and books I am currently reading. My posts will not follow a regular schedule but will be published as I find well-written thoughts that should be of interest to maturing Christian readers. Whenever possible, I encourage you to go to the source and read the complete work of the author.

  • Blog Stats

    • 1,396,227 Visits
  • Recent Posts

  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 1,269 other subscribers
  • June 2008
    M T W T F S S
  • Recommended Reading

Colorado Takes First Steps Toward Criminalizing Christianity

Bob Unruh writes in a WorldNetDaily article that a law passed in Colorado is forcing Christians to stop teaching biblical truth about homosexuality outside the closed doors of their churches.  The law violates the First Amendment to the Constitution by censoring religious free speech.

This law also allows a person access to public accommodations, including restrooms and locker rooms, based on their own perception of their gender identity.  The state of Colorado is making it legal for men to enter and use women’s restrooms and locker-room facilities without notice or explanation.  How many fathers will want their wives and daughters using these accommodations unsupervised?

The Colorado law might also be used to condemn Christian books or articles published in the state that teach the Biblical view of homosexuality.  Homosexual activist are seeking, through this law, to marginalize the church and Christianity.  The law could limit even the discussion of moral opposition to homosexuality in business areas or public places.

In Colorado, the inmates have taken over the asylum and the citizens are forbidden to talk about it.

Do You Recognize The Truth?

Then Pilate said to him, “So you are a king?” Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world-to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice.” Pilate said to him, “What is truth?” (John 18:37-38, ESV)

Today’s culture answers Pilate’s question by responding that, “The truth is personal and differs for everyone.” We have come to think that you can literally choose your own truth. We have fallen far from the manner of thinking that produced these words: “We hold these truths to be self-evident. . . .” (The Declaration of Independence) Objective, self-evident truth is no longer recognized in the realm of politics, principles, philosophy, or morals. Science too, has become the victim of political spin.

An anarchy of confusion and misinformation reigns where absolute truth is no longer recognized. Is it any wonder that people who claim to be Christians are often confused and led astray by the doctrines of devils? Satan is a liar. He is called “the father of lies.” (John 8:44, ESV) It is said that the truth is not in him. This does not stop him from using the truth, however. A statement or idea may contain 90% truth, but if the other 10% is a lie – 100% of the statement or idea is a lie. A lie does not mix with truth without corrupting the whole.

The sad fact is that many in the modern church have no ability to discern false doctrines from true. Christians have become very gullible. Leaders and church members alike are obsessed with conforming the church to the world rather than conforming the world to God’s kingdom. Love for the truth has been dismissed as shallow and narrow. The offense of the Gospel is hidden away. Doctrine must not be divisive.

Truth, however, is by its very nature divisive. For truth to be true, it must be entirely separated from falsehood. Jesus said, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6, ESV) There it is. Jesus has made a very “divisive” statement. If His statement is true, then salvation is only through Him. There is nothing in this statement that allows for other paths to salvation. Jesus says He is “the truth.” Therefore, all other ways are lies.

The church must emphasize sound preaching, teaching, and study of the Scriptures. The church must educate the Christian mind. “Felt needs” are not to guide the decisions of the church because what you feel is not always true. Do not be deceived. Deception is for “those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved.” (2 Thessalonians 2:10, ESV) The Christian faith is not subjective. It is objective, eternal truth. Do not neglect to study God’s Word. It is a precious gift. It is truth.

%d bloggers like this: