• Samuel at Gilgal

    This year I will be sharing brief excerpts from the articles, sermons, and books I am currently reading. My posts will not follow a regular schedule but will be published as I find well-written thoughts that should be of interest to maturing Christian readers. Whenever possible, I encourage you to go to the source and read the complete work of the author.

  • Blog Stats

    • 1,396,227 Visits
  • Recent Posts

  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 1,269 other subscribers
  • June 2008
    M T W T F S S
  • Recommended Reading

Only Christians Please

Germany’s Chancellor Angela Merkel and her Christian Democratic Union have said they would like to see Germany take on thousands of refugees from Iraq. There is only one condition; they must be Christians. Iraq’s Christian refugees have been seeking shelter in neighboring Syria and Jordan since they are being persecuted by radical Muslims. For Iraq’s Christian minority — going back may never be an option.

German Chancellor Merkel’s Christian Democratic Union’s willingness to help only Christian refugees reflects the growing concern in Europe over its increasing Muslim population. The growing Muslim population in Europe is now being seen as a threat to Western democracies.

What Is Truth?

Then Pilate said to him, “So you are a king?” Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world-to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice.” Pilate said to him, “What is truth?” (John 18:37-38, ESV)

I believe our culture today would answer Pilate’s question by responding that, “The truth is whatever you feel is right for you.” We have come to think that you can “spin” truth. We have fallen far from the level of thinking that produced these words: “We hold these truths to be self-evident. . . .” (The Declaration of Independence) Objective, self-evident truth is no longer considered relevant in the realm of politics, principles, philosophy, and morals. Science too, has become the victim of spin. Witness Al Gore’s global warming fantasy; it is becoming increasingly evident that environmentalists and scientists will sell their souls for government grants.

Confusion and misinformation reign supreme. Is it any wonder that people who claim to be Christians are often confused and led astray by the more popular doctrines of devils. Satan is a liar. He is called “the father of lies.” (John 8:44, ESV) It is said that the truth is not in him. This does not stop him from using the truth, however. A statement may contain 90% truth, but if the other 10% is a lie – 100% of the statement is a lie. A lie does not mix with truth without corrupting the whole.

The sad fact is that many Christians have no ability to discern false doctrines from true. The modern Christian is very gullible. Leaders and church members alike are obsessed with conforming the church to the world rather than conforming the world to God’s kingdom. Love for the truth has been dismissed as shallow and narrow. The offense of the Gospel must be hidden away. Doctrine must not be divisive.

On the other hand, truth, by its very nature, is divisive. If truth is to be true, it must be entirely separated from falsehood. Jesus said, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6, ESV) There it is. Jesus has made a very divisive statement. If this statement is true, then salvation is only through Christ. There is nothing in this statement that allows for any other way to salvation. Jesus says He is “the truth.” Therefore, all other ways to God are lies.

If change is needed, it is the change of moving back into the light of sound preaching, teaching, and study of the Scriptures. The church must illuminate the Christian mind. “Felt needs” are not an accurate moral compass to guide the decisions of the church because what you feel is always changing. Do not be deceived. Deception is for “those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved.” (2 Thessalonians 2:10, ESV) The Christian faith is not subjective. It is objective, eternal truth. Do not neglect to study God’s Word. It is a precious gift. It is truth. It is the absolute standard of truth and the true moral compass by which to guide our lives.

%d bloggers like this: